In April 2017, we travelled around Japan for two great weeks. We timed the trip perfectly with the cherry blossoming. It was an amazing trip both food wise and for all the sights and impressions. Here’s our two week itinerary, divided into parts.
Part 1 – The basics and the best
Let’s start with the basics:
- Where did we go?
Tokyo > Hakone > Kyoto > Nara > Osaka > Hiroshima > Fukuoka
- When did we go?
The first weeks of April, perfect for the cherry blossoming (sakura)
- How did we travel?
In Tokyo: local trains, otherwise mostly fast trains (shinkansen) and a domestic flight from Fukuoka to Tokyo
- Would we go again?
Tomorrow if I could!
- Day 1-5 Tokyo
- Day 6-7 Hakone
- Day 8-10 Kyoto (day trip to Nara and Osaka)
- Day 11-12 Hiroshima (day trip to Miyajima island)
- Day 13 Fukuoka
Some of the best foodie experiences (but too many to choose from really!)
- Fried oysters fresh from the water, Miyajima island near Hiroshima
- Traditional tea in a lakeside teahouse, Tokyo
- Traditional ryokan dinner, Hakone
- Sea urchin, Nishiki food market, Kyoto
- Conveyor belt sushi, Tokyo
- Ramen noodles, everywhere